About the project
Towards joint management of the transboundary Gauja/Koiva river basin district
Water is a very important resource to provide our everyday’s life quality – we are drinking it, using it in our households; we are swimming, boating, fishing and resting near the waters. Therefore water quality is a crucial issue for each individual.
The river basin district Gauja/Koiva is transboundary, shared between two countries -
We – partners from
The specific objectives of the project are to:
• get unified boundaries of transboundary water bodies;
• clarify and set common water quality objectives for the basin district;
• harmonize the approaches and methods for the key aspects of river basin management plans;
• select cost efficient measures for improvement of water status;
• provide information and public involvement in water management.
Outputs and results are related to the Gauja/Koiva river basin district:
• Created joint GIS maps, shared data layers for the whole area;
• Overview of existing methods on the water quality status, typology;
• Obtained new data from additional monitoring performed to assess the quality status;
• Elaborated proposals for necessary changes to harmonize typology and quality classification;
• Revised quality objectives according to the specific quality parameters;
• Compared methodologies to estimate pressures on waters, compiled overview on pressures;
• Evaluated the observed impacts and their trends;
• Obtained economic analyses for the significant uses, potential future trends and cost recovery of water services;
• Proposal for the programme of measures to improve water management;
• User friendly information products (map with basic facts, brochures, info stands, web-site) on different aspects of common river management;
• Cross-border events on the water uses and pressures and on results of the project.
Project duration: 01.07.2011 – 31.12.2013, project NR EU 38839
Project financed by: Estonia-Latvia programme
Project lead partner: Latvian
Latvian Ministry of the Environmental Protection and Regional Development;
Baltic Environmental Forum -
Relevant stakeholders: Ministries of the Environment of Latvia and Estonia, Latvian Environment, Geology and Meteorology Centre, Estonian Environmental Informational Centre, Nature Conservation Agency of Latvia, Latvian and Estonian Regional Environmental Boards as well as municipalities located in the Gauja/ Koiva river basin district, planning regions, National Association of Anglers etc.
For wider information regarding the project please contact project's manager Ms. Ilva Cimdina email@example.com
For wider information regarding this website's content please contact Ms. Dace Strigune firstname.lastname@example.org